Sunday 5 June 2011

Manuel Antonio

Since my classes ended on Friday, and my new job starts on Tuesday, I decided to try and squeeze in some sun and sand in the Manuel Antonio National Park. I didn't see any sun, but I got a lot of sand (everywhere). The coast is beautiful, but irritatingly filled with tourists (very.stupid.tourists!!). I saw an Australian grab a lizard by the tail, and had to walk away in anger as he had little time for my scoldings and evil eyes!


It is a shame though, this region (Quepos) has become highly developed, and over-run by foreign tourism. The neighboring town Jaco has become known for its aversions to foreigners,  and it is said that gang initiations often involve inflicting hard upon "gringos". Thankfully, I am not going to have the pleasure of exploring that town, as tomorrow I will be on my merry way to another town called "Heredia". This is where the University of Costa Rica is (where most get their education in conservation or biology or the like. It is also the town of INBio, an organization that works closely with "Partners in Flight", my employers. On Wednesday I am going to do a week long excursion with a senior bird-bander (making me the junior bird-bander... a title I have yet to earn!!) in Tortuguero. This is the same region where three of our other interns reside, and as far as I know, I may even get the chance to see them as well as maybe help out with some turtles!! I will keep you posted and put up more pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment